- Public Works / Engineering
- Watering Restrictions
Know When to Water Your Lawn
In order to conserve our potable water supply, each customer is required to comply with our lawn sprinkling limitations. From May 1 through August 31 each year, lawn and landscape watering is restricted to odd-even days (based on house address) before Noon and after 6:00 p.m. Watering is prohibited between Noon and 6 p.m. each day for all residents. Only those with new sod and landscaping are allowed to water outside the restricted times for the first 30 days after installation.
Please contact the Public Works Department if you have any questions about the watering restrictions by emailing Public Works or calling 651-322-2022.
Penalties for Violations:
- 1st Violation: Education Notice
- 2nd Violation: Written Warning
- 3rd Violation: $50.00
- 4th Violation: $100.00
- 5th Violation: $200.00
Per City Code (Title 4, Chapter 1, Article A-3), violators of this restriction maybe be subject to misdemeanor charges.
Helpful Conservation Tips
- DON’T over-water your lawn. Most lawns need about 1” per week to remain healthy and green.
- DON’T collect grass clippings when you mow; the clippings provide shade for the soil and help prevent evaporation.
- DO comply with the City’s odd-even watering restrictions to help prevent extreme demands on the water system.
- DO position your sprinklers so the water lands on the lawn or garden, not on paved areas.
- DO let your lawn go dormant during drought conditions; this saves water and time spent mowing.
- DO choose shrubs or ground cover instead of grass for hard-to-water areas (steep slopes or isolated strips)
Our Rebates and Assistance Programs page has additional information on our water efficiency rebate program.
Learn about effective irrigation practices and how you can save water (and money)!
Follow Us On