Printable Handout for Roofing
Permit and FeesA building permit is required for all roofing projects. Residential roofing is a set fee of $76.00 (includes state surcharge). All other roofing permit fees are pursuant to the Building Value Range on Exhibit A of the City fee schedule or $105.00 minimum.
- Metal roofs are not allowed on single family dwellings in Rosemount. Exception: Metal shingles that have the appearance of conventional shingles.
- New roof covering shall not be installed without first removing existing roof coverings. IRC R907.3
- Fiberglass or asphalt shingles are not permitted on roofs with a pitch of less than 2:12. These must be designed and roofed as a flat roof. IRC R905.2.2
- Wood shingles or shakes may not be used on roofs with less than 3:12 pitch. IRC R905.7.2 and IRC R905.8.2
- Flashing shall be installed where the lower portion of a sloped roof stops within the plane of an intersecting wall cladding, in such a manner as to divert or kick-out water away from the assembly. MN1309.0903.2.2
- Roof ventilation is required. Minimum requirements are 1 square foot of vent for each 300 square feet of roof area. 50% of the required ventilation must be in the upper portion of the roof and the remainder at the soffit area of the roof. IRC R806
- Existing vent flashing, metal edgings, drain outlets, collars and, metal counterflashings shall not be reinstalled where rusted, damaged or deteriorated. Aggregate surfacing materials shall not be reinstalled. IRC R907.5
- Ice and water shield required. An ice barrier that consists of at least two layers of underlayment cemented together or of a self-adhering polymer modified bitumen sheet, shall be used in lieu of normal underlayment and extend from the eave’s edge to a point at least 24 inches (610mm) inside the exterior wall line of the building. IRC R905.2.7.1
- Starter Roll underlayment/ice and water shield inspection before applying shingles.
- Pictures are required on site at the final inspection. Reinspection fees will apply if pictures are not posted on site.
- Final inspection when complete. You must CALL to schedule an inspection: 651-322-2024